Friday, December 23, 2011

Merry and bright

Christmas feels particularly poignant to me this year. We've spent two of the last three years celebrating this season in the hospital. It's changed how I feel about the holiday, about the month leading up to it, deepened my understanding of the joy we can bring to the day even in the face of adversity. And this year, for the first time, I am married. Our families are at home. Life is huge and complicated. We are lucky.

I'm not religious, but blessed is still a word I use when luck doesn't seem to cover it. We're blessed with another year, another day, another chance to gather with people we love and celebrate that love. I'm ever more convinced that it's all that matters. There are no guarantees in life. We should love each other as fiercely as we know how, for whatever time we're given together. And that is what I intend to do this weekend.

r&r christmas
{r&r christmas}*

Merry Christmas to any of you stragglers out there still reading! Go eat a cookie or something.


* That is my little sister and me on Christmas, I think 20 years ago. Guess what?! I still have that sweatshirt. NOT KIDDING. It's on its last legs, sadly - I think this might be its very last Christmas and I haven't yet found a suitable replacement. Also, I have that haircut again. So basically, that's what our weekend will look like. Minus the Barbies. Possibly. Also, our mom now has a better couch, I'm happy to report. 

19 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas! I'm so sorry you had such a rough couple of Christmases. But I do believe that it's events like these that make us appreciate the true meaning of christmas. I hope this one is wonderful! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family is having a rough christmas this year, and I find it comforting to instead count my blessings, rather than wallow in sadness. Thanks for this post.

    Also, I got one of those pangs of nostalgia looking at your childhood photo. It feels like one of my own-- and I'm starting to understand why my mom tears up so much when looking at old photos.
    Have a great holiday Rachel-- and thank you for sharing your life on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas! I really hope you and your loved ones have a safe and blessed Christmas full of love and laughter!
    Thanks for a really great blog ... I don't always comment, but I read all your posts!
    Here's to a great 2012!
    Much love, Bailey from Vanilla Blonde

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas, Rachel!

    Love,

    Chelsea

    http://mixedmediumstheatre.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said Rachel. Wishing you and your family and your husband a safe Christmas and a Happy New Year! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have very similar Christmas pictures with me and my sister. I love it. Enjoy being blessed, Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas! Have a wonderful time with your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas, lady! (said from my laptop in my pjs, nursing a cup of tea...I'm the early riser of the family!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Christmas to you and your family, as well, Rachel. I'm so glad you're all at home this year. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas! Super lovely blog!


    xoxo,

    colormenana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful. absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautifully said. Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How adorable. Have a blessed and warm Christmas to you and your family. :D

    buy aion accounts

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Holidays!

    So cute picture of you and your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Rachel! You don't have to be "religious" to thank God for His blessings! Have a wonderful holiday with your family. Candice

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this post and I can relate. Thanks for sharing this :)

    xx Jen
    Hope you had a nice Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely post, Rachel. And I feel the same way about the word blessed. Hope it was a great Christmas for you guys and that we'll finally get together in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Truly thoughtful post...perfect for putting the holidays and this New Year into perspective. Continue to be blessed!

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!