Thursday, October 20, 2011

I have no picture* of this, but you should still try it ...

I've made this broccoli crunch slaw salad twice in the last two weeks. Huge batches both times, because I can eat it for days. Miraculously, it stays pretty crunchy in the fridge.

I was initially skeptical for a few reasons - I don't generally like mayo based salads, unless you're talking about potato salad, and for some reason the idea of cranberries and broccoli combined seemed weird.

It isn't weird. It's good. So good. And the recipe will let you play with it. I don't bother to chop up the broccoli very small, because I'm lazy. I think I use more broccoli than the recipe calls for, because I like a higher vegetable to dressing ratio in general. And while the original ratio of equal parts mayo to greek yogurt is awesome, you can successfully make the salad with 1 part mayo to 2 parts yogurt (for those of us attempting to shed a few honeymoon pounds).

I've tried it with less lemon and more lemon and I would actually recommend you stick with the lower amount (1/2 lemon). Crazy, because normally I'm all about more lemon.

I also do a quick pickle step on the red onions (just chop them fine and then cover them with water + white wine vinegar + a spoonful of sugar, let it sit while you do all the other prep and then drain them) because D isn't a huge fan of the intense bite they have otherwise.

Oh, and if you need it to be a meal, rather than a side dish, it transitions nicely if you add something extra. We'll throw on some chopped grilled chicken for dinner. Or I'll add chopped avocado, which is amazing because it adds extra creaminess. Yesterday I threw in some roasted brussels sprouts, just because I had them in the fridge.



* I love fall, but the shorter days really kill weekday picture taking opportunities. It's almost always dark when I leave, it's dark when I get home. I decided to spare you a gloomy picture of a chopped salad since there's a perfectly nice one if you go straight to the source.

13 comments:

  1. Anything with broccoli and/or cranberries is a winner in my opinion. Keep up the good work, your blog is beautiful.

    http://a-little-birdy-told-me-so.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That salad is one of my go-to foods -- I love it (and really the whole blog!) so much.

    I discovered your blog recently and really enjoyed reading through your archives, by the way. I'm also a 5C grad (Pomona '08) and though I moved away from Southern California immediately after graduating your blog has reminded me of so much of what's lovely about that area of the country. Much as it could be bizarre to have 80-degree days after coming back from winter break in January, I would absolutely take that over winter in Germany. But I sure don't miss L.A. traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother makes a similar salad, but a bit different... and its amazing! She uses un-salted sunflower seeds, and a dressing made with mayo, white vinegar, and sugar. Now I want to make some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, what your saying is that I need to make a gianormous batch of this for lunches next week? Got it.

    This reminds me of a waldorf salad, but better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Making this tonight, no questions asked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love broccoli slaws/salads. It's really good to put in roasted sunflower seeds instead of almonds, too. It'd probably be great with both, actually. I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is very similar to Smitten Kitchen's broccoli slaw that I just can't make enough of! It's SO good!

    http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/05/broccoli-slaw/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so great. I learned something about the easy-pickling onion method. Never thought to do this! I was helping my cousin prepare a broccoli salad for a pre-wedding family meal...she chopped everything so amazingly fine it too all afternoon. I like your philosophy a lot better! I'm tasting it now! Debra

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was still thinking about this post when I got to the grocery store last night. Ended up with a huge (*huge*) batch involving broccoli, almonds, craisins, grilled chicken, genoa salami, and avocado.

    Very delish, it looks like it'll feed us for the whole weekend. The salami was a nice addition, just a little saltiness to cut the sweetness of the craisins. Loving the idea of sunflower seeds, will definitely try that next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay, so glad you loved this salad. I could gladly eat a huge bowl full and still want seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. But BROCCOLI tastes like CIGARETTES. And cigarettes are bad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. there's something so tranquil and beautiful about your pictures. i am absolutely enjoying your blog <3

    graceinajar

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!