Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Reading, lately

Colum McCann's Let the Great World Spin had the trifecta - intriguing name, well designed cover, Lauren's stamp of approval.

reading
{reading}

It seems almost redundant to say it was excellent, but it was. Lots of interwoven stories, done well. Good plot (as gauche as it may be to admit it in literary circles, I like plot). The writing itself is artful - almost unbelievably quotable. You know when you find yourself sticking post it notes all over a book because you keep finding sentences you love? That happens here.

Like this ... The simple things come back to us. They rest for a moment by our ribcages then suddenly reach in and twist our hearts a notch backward.

And this ... Some people think love is the end of the road, and if you're lucky enough to find it, you stay there. Other people say it just becomes a cliff you drive off, but most people who've been around awhile know it's just a thing that changes day by day, and depending on how much you fight for it, you get it, or you hold on to it, or you lose it, but sometimes it's never even there in the first place.

Luckily McCann doesn't get so caught up in crafting those sentences that he loses the overall arc of the story. It's lovely, truly. I checked it out from the library, but I'll be purchasing a copy for my bookshelf because I'm sure I'll be wanting to re-read it soon. 

18 comments:

  1. Have you seen Man on Wire? I watched it right after I read this book and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip! I'm in the middle of The Help and have a few books lined up after it, but this will surely be going on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you posted this. I had written this book down as something I was interested in. I saw it several times at the book store and passed it up. But, you just sold me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read it earlier this year and LOVED it! One of my favorites this year for sure. I agree about his writing - I kept rereading sentences to try to store them in my memory. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow I am intrigued. thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, i'm so glad you liked it! as you know, i don't typically re-read - but i think i'd like another turn with this one. the language really is delicious, and it's such a big-hearted book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, I loved that book too! I love stories that come together so neatly that you almost don't see it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We just finished this one for our book club as well and I was really intrigued by it. i'd recommend for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward to this one--I second Jane's reco for Man on Wire.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this one too! The writing was beautiful and you should definitely watch Man on Wire.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read this over the summer for a book club and was totally absorbed by the writing and story. A great book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooooh. good rec. I think that might be my next book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i absolutely loved Man on Wire. It just made me happy. I'm going to pick up this book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I got stuck a couple chapters in and let the book go dormant. I'll have to pick it up from the stack again thanks to your recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know exactly what you mean about putting post-its on pages with sentences that you want to keep and remember. I will have to add this book to my {long} list of winter reads, sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!